Wednesday 2 October 2013


TESTIMONIES OF OCTOBER 1 BABIES

TESTIMONIES OF OCTOBER 1 BABIES
•Our feelings sharing birthday with Nigeria
BY COSMAS OMEGOH and SEYE OJO
It is absolutely special to share birthdays with one’s country. Only a handful of Nigerians, for instance, are privileged to be so blessed: To be born on October 1, same day Nigeria marks her independence celebration.
As the country marks her 53rd anniversary, some citizens, who share birthday with the country have been speaking on what it feels to be born on such a historic date and what it means to them, recalling that the date is one sweet coincidence, which brings honour and privilege in its wake.
But beyond the celebrations, the October 1 people have taken time off to reflect on how the country has fared over the years. Affirming that the country is so richly blessed, they are united that the leadership has let the country down, maintaining that only pragmatic efforts would see Nigeria return to the path of glory.
Excerpts:
Nigeria not showing maturity – Cyril Njoku,  technician
What is special about his birthday?
My birthday is special because it is indeed, very rare to see someone sharing a birthday with his country. It is rare to be born on the same day one’s country won her independence. That is why I always rejoice over it. But at the same time, it is sad that our dear country is not living up to expectations. And that makes it difficult for someone like me to fully and wholeheartedly identify with her. To be honest with you, in virtually all aspects of the economy: education, security, social engineering – name it, our country has not shown maturity. One hopes that things will improve in the near future.
His feeling celebrating with Nigeria
I feel okay. But it needs be said that our leadership has let us down. Since the country was born in 1960, we have not been having good leadership. We have been through a series of military and civilian eras, but the fact remains that within these eras, we have not learnt our lessons. We have not had leaders; rather we have had misleaders who have epitomised corruption and segregation. They have allowed the upper class to dominate the economy. And since we have not been having quality leadership, what this has left us with is massive embarrassment. The situation is sad.
In the past, I loved this country very passionately. I always looked forward to my birthdays in those days with great expectations. That was particularly when I was in school. I loved the country so much that I identified with everything that had to do with her. I took active interest in her current affairs – everything. But right now, that interest has waned. The only thing that sustains the country in our hearts now is that this is our fatherland and we don’t have any other country but Nigeria. That is all.
Changes I expect in Nigeria
I expect to see good leadership. I desire to see responsible, caring, disciplined, corruption-free and mature persons in positions of leadership. These are the qualities I expect to see in the leaders I will love to identify with. If someday, the current leadership in place gives me an honour, believe me, I will turn it down.  Since our desire for quality leadership is increasingly becoming a pipe dream, the only hope we have at the moment is that some day God will send those to change things for us. That is the sort of leadership I will identify with.
In the meantime, I’m not happy and I think some other persons out there feel that way too. However, I cannot deny Nigeria. But what I’m saying is that the present crop of leaders in the country should have a rethink. Let those of them in government go back to the basics.
Minus leadership problem, Nigeria is good – Patrick John,  Grassroots footballer coach
My birthday with Nigeria
It is a great privileged for me to be born on the same date that Nigeria got her independence. I call it a day of breakthrough. For this reason, I see myself as someone destined to take Nigeria to the next level in what I do which is football. For indeed, it is God’s doing!
My feeling when I celebrate
Not many people were born on October 1. That is why I insist it is a special day for me; that is why I say I’m privileged to be born that day. Therefore, it is a great honour celebrating with Nigeria. Every October 1, I take some time off to think and reflect. I pray and ask God to make me outstanding and responsible. I use the opportunity to tell people that Nigeria is lovely; Nigeria is great. I think that if we do the right things, people will be amazed to see that Nigeria is great; people around the world will celebrate Nigeria.
Things that need to be done right
The major thing that we need to get right in this country is leadership. Our leaders are not doing the right things. They are not encouraging growth at the grassroots. Those of us at the grassroots are not being given the right opportunity we need to excel. For this reason, we are not developing.
Advice to Mr. President
I want to advise Mr. President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, to look at where he is coming from and to ensure that the country runs in the right direction. I want to tell him this because I know where he is coming from. I’m from Delta State, but we share things in common with his Bayelsa State. He ought to know how people from that region are suffering.
We must continue to believe in Nigeria – Lere Olayinka, journalist, politician
It is a rare privilege
Sharing my birthday with Nigeria is a rare privilege, which gives me joy. If I were not born on October 1, I probably might not have been able to know exactly the date I was born. I still remember my mother telling me then that all she knew was that they were celebrating ajodun ominira (Independence Day) when I was born.
Nigeria is blessed
Nigeria is a country blessed with abundance human and material resources. If you drop a mango seed in the bush, you are most likely to come back a year later to see a mango tree already growing at that spot. That cannot happen in most countries of the world. The country is also blessed with hard working and intelligent people. However, it appears that our God-given blessings are becoming our albatross.
Nigeria, a project that must not fail
Of course, I’m a strong believer in “Project Nigeria. We have no other country but Nigeria. I passionately hate the idea of our people celebrating when they get visas to travel overseas.  Just imagine people going to church or mosque to give testimonies when they get visas to travel to South Africa! It is nauseating and I believe our leaders should make Nigeria habitable for its people.
I believe Nigerian will continue to live as an indivisible entity. We have challenges, no doubt, but the challenges are not enough to break the country. And those talking about dismembering Nigeria, have they ever considered how many components that will emerge if the country breaks? Do they think it will just be Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo? Do they know that there are more than 350 tribes and ethnic groups in Nigeria?
Now, imagine Nigeria breaking along ethnic line; we will be talking of at least more than 50 countries coming out of her and that will be a disaster that the entire continent of Africa won’t be able to withstand!
Nigeria’s problems and possible solutions
I strongly believe that many Nigerians have lost their value system as well as principle of reward and punishment. Once the principle of reward and punishment is lost in a society, that society is in trouble. If one knows that the probability of being punished is high, one will likely try to exercise restraint before committing any crime. And if one knows that when they do good, they will be rewarded, they will likely be encouraged to do good.  But these days, no one cares how you get to

No comments:

Post a Comment

KINDLY LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW